… just because I clicked on your profile, it does not mean that I am interested in what you are selling. It just means I’ve got fat fingers or are curious to learn through which connection we know each other. Telling me that you noticed me viewing your profile 3 minutes ago, makes you sound like a creepy stalker. Yes, I know stalkers are by definition “creepy” – but it needed to be emphasized in your case.
-Jason De Arte
I’m tired of writing polite responses to why I won’t be your “friend” on LinkedIn.
So, engineer me will list out my LinkedIn friendship rubric.
Please don’t be offended if your got this link from me via LinkedIn. If I wanted to be rude, I would have sent you a link to http://www.jasondearte.com/wp/tag/foaas/ 😉
- We work together on projects where we actually interact on a semi-regular basis
- You added me by email address instead of by people you may know.
This tells me that either you are a recruiter that bulk added me or you are a security n00b that gave LinkedIn your email password so they could mass-add everyone you know.
- You are obviously a recruiter that didn’t buy the premium subscription.
Either you’re too spammy for the recruiter accounts, or your boss is a cheap bastard.
- I don’t remember you. Sorry, it’s nothing personal. There are a lot of people that know me, but I don’t know them. I’m bad with names and socially awkward that way.
- You’re extended family or friend of a friend that knows that guy who knows me.
- I worked with you, and.. I would rather forget about that incident. But then again, you may be in #3
Have a nice day
-Jason De Arte
For the past few years I’ve had a rather obtuse (and some might say caustic) profile on LinkedIn. It surved it’s purpose: Hide me from the recruters. And it mostly worked. That is, except on the recuters that play WoW. 😉
Now as those recruters cycle through their jobs and hand over their dead leads to even greener recruters to retry – I’ve ended up on an inaccurate hodge-podge of job lists that are, well, just not my thing…
- 3 month contract job in michigan, $25k – like I’m going to relocate my familiy for that
- Multiple Stock trading firms
- Require: 10+ years C++ expert knowlege, Job: InstalShield scripter
- Consultant Jobs
- Sales support engineering
- 3D Artist – wtf?
- Archival media engineer – put the tape in the backup tape drive?
- GoogleTV media codecs
It’s taken a while. But I’ve finally come to the conclusion that there’s a certain value in having an accurate career description. Sure, I may get a few more recruter calls – but that’s OK. I’ll deal with it. It’s fun answering calls from strangers using my customer service / answering machine voice.
Over the next few months my linkedin profile should start to look a little more “professional”. For tracking purposes, here’s some of the original text…